Tuesday, March 13, 2012

There's A New Kid in Town

A may never visit a pet store again.  I thought Matt was pretty adamant when he told Hannah we could go to the pet store, but we were only looking.  "Don't even think about asking to hold a puppy."  I was sure I heard wrong when he asked to see this little chubby buddy that was a Border Collie Puggle mix.
(I don't think they make anything but designer dogs anymore.  I think most puppies are accidents that they try to present as creative genius.)

Soon we were in the little room where all the magic happens. I knew from past experience not to make comments such as "Oh, you'll be momma's little boy." "It must be scary in here." I knew that any remark I made might give Hannah and Matt a glimmer of hope and they would begin to chisel away at my resolve.   I knew it was hopeless.  They were smitten.  He and Lucy would share the same birthday after all.  Wasn't that a sign?

After about half an hour we decided to walk away, but we didn't get very far. After a long drive around the block we were back.  The deal was sealed and we drove home with a not so little puppy.

I think he's part goat.  He'll eat anything and everything.



When Elizabeth and Mae Bee  came to visit I could see the advantage of having two dogs.  I can't count how many times I've heard, "Two dogs are better than one.  They'll take care of each other."  They really did entertain each other.

Lucy lives to be outside and it has been wonderful having a fenced in backyard at our new house.  Only problem is, Lucy likes it even better when she has someone outside with her.  She is relentless in her pleading when she wants you to join her in the backyard.  Now she has company.  If we could just teach Ricky to throw the ball so Lucy could fetch it.

It is nice that Ricky and Lucy are getting along for the most part and I'm sure as Ricky grows they'll be able to play even more.  For right now it's like having another child.  Lucy has been the top dog in town and she's not afraid to express just how she feels when she's had enough.  If her barks were translated into English I'm sure I've heard her say, "He's touching me, mom, make him stop touching me."

 (I thought Ricky or Dezi would be a great name for Lucy's companion.  I was actually leaning towards Dezi, but it looks like Hannah has settled on Ricky.)


P.S. He is really cute when he's sleeping.

P.P.S.  As I'm writing this I now have two dogs on my lap trying to help.

No comments: