I have a
few defining moments in my life I can return to and without fail they remind me
that my Heavenly Father knows and loves me. One such occasion was a Sunday
morning several years ago. The day started well. Hannah, my toddler, was fed, her
clothes were still clean, and we were ready for church with a few minutes to
spare. We were actually going to be on time. I was walking out the door, church
bag in one hand and toddler’s hand in the other; all I needed were my car keys
and we’d be on our way. The only things missing from this perfect picture were
my keys. No surprise, for I am a chronic loser of keys.
I recognize that I have a problem and it’s
something I’ve worked for years to overcome. I have a routine I follow when I
can’t find my keys. I sat my church bag down, let go of Hannah’s hand and began
phase one of my routine. I paused a few moments trying to remember when I last
used my keys and did my best to retrace my steps, but without success. I wasn’t
yet concerned, I’m on to phase two. Now it’s time to look under the couch, between
the cushions, behind the desk, and inside the toy box. No keys to be found, but
I still wasn’t late for church and fortunately it’s a small apartment. My keys
couldn’t be that hard to find. Once again I retraced my steps, when that didn’t
work, I did more than look under, between and behind; I began moving things.
Third time’s a charm, right? With less confidence than before I again retraced,
searched and finally concluded it was beyond me, it was now time to pray.
I
knelt beside the couch and prayed. I offered a sincere plea for help to my
Heavenly Father and I was confident that we would soon be on our way. I knew I
would find my keys that time. As I rose from my knees I found myself looking at
Hannah’s little feet. She was wearing
white sandals and her Sunday socks were pink with white lace. I noticed the
lace on one of her socks was coming loose at one end. The thought came into my
mind, “Take a moment and mend her sock.” Really? I was no longer early or even
on time for church. Mending her sock would have to wait. I began retracing my
steps, trying to remember any details I might have forgotten.
As I
began to look over and under once more, I again had the impression that I
should mend Hannah’s sock. Seriously? Mend a sock? I needed to be at church. I
had responsibilities. People were depending on me. My day that began so well, quickly
spirals into one of self-doubt, discouragement and despair. That dangling piece
of lace seemed to represent the unraveling of the life I was trying to hold
together. My husband’s job required him to be away for weeks at a time. I was
serving as Relief Society President, trying to magnify my calling but falling
far short of my expectations. I felt like I was single handedly raising a
toddler and a teenager who both demand time and attention. Suddenly I was
tired, lonely and overwhelmed. I felt deserted and defeated. I wanted to curl up on the couch and cry.
Again a quiet whisper, “Mend Hannah’s sock.” I decided if I was going to sit on
the couch and cry I might as well mend her sock while I was at it.
With
shoulders hunched I slowly crossed the tiny room, opened the old hutch,
retrieved the battered thread box, and set it resolutely on the weathered table.
Brushing back tears, I removed the lid, placed it on the table beside the box, and
there among spools of thread, I found my keys. I was instantly overcome with an
undeniable feeling of love and comfort. My tears of anguish became tears of
gratitude and understanding. I knew Heavenly Father answered my prayer. He understood
that as I searched for the lost keys I had forgotten sewing the day before and
had not considered looking in that box.
The first
thought I had after praying was to mend Hannah’s sock. My prayer was answered
immediately. His whisperings were loud and clear if I would have just listened.
He patiently repeated the message until I finally understood. He knew where my
keys were and He knew I needed them. Without His promptings it’s possible weeks
or even months would have passed before I found my keys in the thread box.
My life
has been blessed with many “mend the sock” moments. I have a Heavenly Father
who loves me. He communicates with me individually and in ways that I can
understand. I’ll never comprehend how He knows each of us so well or how He’s
able to reach out to us individually. There are moments I have felt as though I
have had His undivided attention. His patience and persistence have helped me
recognize His hand in my life. I’m quicker to listen and act than I once was. I
still have the same thread box with many of the same spools of thread and I
still lose my keys. Each time I hold that box in my hands I am reminded of my
Father’s love. He still helps me find my keys more often than I’d like to
admit. The frequent conversations I have with Heavenly Father concerning my
keys and His willingness to help me find them are a witness to me that He hears
and answers every prayer. Just as important
is knowing if He cares about my keys, He cares about me.

No comments:
Post a Comment