Sunday, March 13, 2011

Beauty and the Bernina

Actually it should be Beauty and the Kenmore, but that doesn't have the same poetic quality as Beauty and the Bernina. Over 25 years ago my parents gave me a Kenmore sewing machine for high school graduation. Shortly thereafter my Kenmore and I were off to BYU and we've been sewing together ever since. We've created some great memories together, but haven't been as busy these past few years. There was a time that the only way I could afford new clothes was to sew them myself. Now sewing can at times be a pricey hobby and instead of making sometheing new I more often find myself mending instead of making.

I sewed 90% of Elizabeth's clothes including baby clothes, her baptismal dress and prom dresses. I made tablecloths for her wedding reception and even made things for a few of her friends. She learned to sew on my machine. Hannah and I have piddled a litte. What a blessing this machine has been in my life.

Thanks to Hannah and Beauty and the Beast, my Kenmore has once again helped me create memories and find joy.

At the first rehersal a parent's meeting was held and the costume requirements were explained to us. We were responsible for a skirt and apron for the show. I was the only one in our group that admitted that I could sew. I soon found myself surrounded by new friends who needed my skills. In all I sewed six skirts and nine aprons. I found satisfaction as I watched the dress rehersals and saw the village children on stage.

At the rehersal where I delivered the skirts and aprons I was approached by the costume mistress and asked if I could help with the blue paige costumes for the children who were silverware. Mrs. T needed fifteen blue vests. I was a bit overwhelmed, and oh so grateful when two mom's overheard our conversation and offered to help. Thank goodness! Marie was the first to sew and discovered a few design flaws. She was able to come up with a solution and it was a piece of cake for the rest of us to follow her design. I would have had hours of rippping out seams if I would have jumped in on my own. And the silver lining, I made a new friend.


I think I had more fun being a part of the production than Hannah did.  For her rehersals were a lot of hurry up and wait.  She was in the first scene and then in the finale.  There was a lot of time in between.  Fortunately they often practiced the finale first and then began at the beginning and ran the show.  Often we were excused and allowed to leave after the first scene was rehersed a few times.

I had pictured myself with too much time on my hands and packed a messenger bag with library books, my ipod, lesson for YW etc.  I rarely opened the bag and when I did it was for just a few minutes.  I don't know how most of the mom's sat around hour after hour.  I found myself helping the high school "drama mama's" in the costume room.  I helped tape blue rims on the giant saucers, cut pool noodles and attached them to the beer mugs for handles,  holding this cutting that, acting as a dress form as something was fitted.  We cut silverware from project boards, the list goes on.  There was plenty  to do up to the last minute.  It was fun to see everything come together.

It was impressive to see the high school students and their ownership of the show. They created costumes, sets and props.  The worked to bring the best out in each other.  As a parent I was very impressed and very grateful for the way that  they mentored the intermediate and elementary school children.  Hannah's sister in the show was Sam H.  She always seemed excited to see Hannah and was quick to come get her and make sure they were where they needed to be when it was time to go on stage.


I was able to help behind the scenes when it was time for the villager children to go  and when the silverware needed to get dressed and go on. It was fun to see all the hustle and bustle and be apart of it.  It did my heart good to see Hannah having such a great time and hanging in there when the nights got long.

Hannah did a great job of keeping up on her schoolwork and getting up in the mornings when she hadn't had enough sleep.  Her teachers at school were supportive and allowed her time to do some of her homework at school. Mrs. D and her piano teacher and family came to see a performance.  I am grateful to all those who supported her.

What an awesome experience.

P.S. The show was amazing.  Three of the four performances were sold out.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen some of the beauty that you and your kenmore have made together so I know this production was close to perfection...at least, your part in it! I love back stage hubaloo! Glad you girls got to participate! Hope you're all well. We're still alive but barely sane!!!

Kasey Strong said...

What a fun update! I'm so happy Hannah got to do that and that you were there to help out A TON along the way. I wonder if it creeps Elizabeth out to look at Hannah and see EXACTLY what she looked like when she was that age. I hope you guys are having fun together right now!