So I'm not a big believer in horoscopes or having my fortune read, but I have enjoyed breaking open a fortune cookie at the end of a take-out meal and seeing how the fortune may or may not apply to my life. I've had some good ones over the years and many were taped to my desk for a time, only to be replaced by the next fortune or quote from Relief Society or Young Women. I do like a good motivational quote. (One of my current favorites is, "Commandments don't define us, they refine us.")
So back to my latest fortune. I feel like the last several months we have picked one fortune after another.
We moved a few weeks ago, but the journey started mid-November..
Matt was finishing a project that had us in western PA for almost three years. Before that we had been in the same place for almost twenty years, in the same ward twenty-five. Change is something that can be a challenge for our family. As wonderful as much of our life has been, I wonder what we've missed out on over the years as we've stubbornly refused to pull up roots and make a change.
We've had good reason to stay put, wonderful friends, great ward, good schools, let's finish this year of high school, this season of a sport, youth conference or girls camp is coming up, etc... So many things that were hard to leave behind.
When we moved to PA we decided that where Matt went we went. We would go whether it was for six months or six years. That sounded good and that is what we were determined to do until the project was over and we were really faced with the decision of what comes next.
Maybe Matt could work out of town for a short while and then be put on a project that would have him working out of western PA again.
While we were contemplating our next move, Matt received a very unexpected call from someone he had worked for about ten years ago in Houston, TX. Matt was offered a position on a new project with a different company in Oklahoma. His current company has been quiet good to us, but the timing of this call was intriguing and perhaps divine. Since we were faced with a possible move anyway we decided to take a serious look at the offer.
This new job would be a challenge, but an upward career move. A new project is always exciting. The cost of living in Oklahoma is considerably less than here, we would be making more money so we could really put some money in savings, the schools seemed amazing, and one thing that really made the job appealing to me is that we would be an eight hour drive from my parent's home in Nebraska. Since we've been married I've never been that close to home.
It was a very tough choice to make, we were doing very well with Matt's current employer. The official offer was extended on Friday, they needed an answer ASAP. The contract was over-nighted, we asked to have the weekend to pray about everything. Matt decided to accept the job offer on Monday and gave two weeks notice. The plan was for Matt to continue to work through Thanksgiving and then begin the new job on December 1st. As scary as it all was things were falling into place.
We already had plans and plane tickets for a Christmas with Chad and Elizabeth in Utah. I changed Matt's ticket so he could fly out of Oklahoma City. We decided Hannah and I would pack up before Christmas, drive to Nebraska for a few days with my family in Omaha, leave our dog with them for the holidays and then return to Omaha with Matt, spend New Year's Eve with my family and then drive to Oklahoma together. I was amazed that I was able to get all the flights changed at no additional cost and make the needed arrangements to move. We felt like this was confirmation that we had made the right decision as difficult as it was. We began saying our goodbyes.
So Monday Matt accepts the job and Friday afternoon our world went into a tale spin. I heard Matt on the phone in his office and I could tell by his tone that something was very wrong. I got busy around the house trying not to listen, but I was dying to know what was going on. The short version, the company we were going to work for bought an existing pipeline that would help them address the need being addressed by the planned project immediately and the new project went away. We no longer had a new job to go to.
We had one of those "life flash before your eyes" experiences. Matt
had already given notice. His current employer was at the end of
several projects and many people were being laid off for the winter and
until new projects began. We were among the few who had been given the
opportunity to relocate and Matt had been assigned to the project with
the longest projected amount of work. We had changed all our plane
tickets and the list went on. I tried not to panic, but panic seemed my
only option. I was truly afraid of the future.
I didn't understand why Matt was offered a job, given a contract only to have the carpet pulled out from under his feet. He was assured this was a viable project. He did his research. The future looked very promising. I learned first hand about how carefully companies keep big plans a secret and the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand was doing. I have a better understand "insider trading" and the lengths companies go to to make sure they aren't accused of it. I know those who offered Matt were truly sorry and were totally in the dark about the big deal. I am very grateful that we weren't among those families who had already moved to Oklahoma and would have to face the holidays with an uncertain future.
How could we have prayed and felt like we were doing the right thing, have so many things fall into place and then have everything turn so quickly? I'm still not sure what lessons we were supposed to learn, but Heavenly Father was there and is still there for us. I think one of the hardest things Matt has ever had to do was to ask for his job back, after a tense weekend, we were blessed to know Matt still had his job. He would need to begin working about four hours from where we were living, but gratefully we had a job. We re-booked all of our flights at almost twice the cost and moved on.
Matt was given December to find a place to live and get to know the new area. He was required to be in his new area from early Monday morning until noon on Saturday every week. With the four hour commute from here to there, we didn't have much time together and although that's better than being 2000 miles apart, we had said we would be together. We were still reeling from our experience in November and a bit afraid of planning a move. Should Matt get a small apartment, should we look for a home for all of us, would we move only to need to move back in a few months? We doubted our ability to make a good decision.
We had a great Christmas with Chad and Elizabeth. We returned home and planned to figure things out by the time our lease was up at the end of February. We were leaning toward moving even if it required moving back in a few months. Matt started looking for a place and I began to pack boxes and go through stuff in preparation for whatever might be. Matt traveled back and forth for the first two weeks in January, came home Saturday shared that he was over being by himself and lets just do it. I went from having six weeks to prepare to five days. Matt thought it would be a good idea for us to move the next weekend.
We had narrowed our list of possible homes to two and decided on "the one". Matt drove home Wednesday after work to pick up the first load, at which time we weren't even sure where he would be unloading it. The one we picked. . .
We had another "Pick another fortune cookie" moment, but I'll share that story at a later time.
Well here we are, for now. The journey was filled with a few detours and road blocks. The ride was a bit bumpy at times, but always eventful. I don't know what the Lord has in store for us, but we'll do our best.
The move wouldn't have been possible without a lot of help from our friends. One friend in particular amazed me by her willingness to help and it wasn't until the move that I really got to know her. We had exchanged hellos in the hall at church, but that was about all. She was there for me all week long. I'd still be packing if it weren't for her.
I tried to handle things by myself and could have done most of it with six weeks, but five days made it an impossible task that could only be made possible by my friends. I am truly grateful.
P.S. Previous fortune taped to desk:
I guess we need a little work on the "wisdom is knowing what to do next" department.



1 comment:
What a ride!!! Glad it all turned out good for you though! Good to see you blogging again!
}}hugs{{
Vicky
Post a Comment