Sunday, September 21, 2014

Birthday Box

As a family we don't celebrate birth"days". We celebrate "The Prine Birthday Season." We begin with Chad and Hannah's birthday in June, move on to Matt's birthday in July, my birthday is in August and we finish off the season with Elizabeth's birthday in September.  Having a birthday season allows us to use any and every excuse to celebrate. Is there a movie we want to see, let's see it. A new restaurant to check out, let's eat! Places to go, things to do. Someone just had a birthday or someone else's birthday is coming up, that's all the excuse we need to go do it.

Hannah was able to celebrate both here and in Florida this year.



When we arrived in Florida Oma had a birthday Scavenger Hunt planned for Hannah.  What made it even more exciting was that there were no clues, Hannah got to search the condo and Oma couldn't quite remember where all the gifts were hidden. I think she found them all.  Hannah's gift from Oma was a the opportunity to shop for and outfit, shoes, accessories, swimming suit and towel, and it included activities like Ladies Lunch and a trip to Solomon's Castle. What a wonderful gift.  We had fun getting it all done and made lots of memories in the process.

Only Oma would find a flaming birthday cake topper that played "Happy Birthday" as it bloomed. It was awesome. It probably would have lasted throughout our birthday season.  Only problem is we would have had to listen to it for three months. It would not stop playing, as fun as it was to hear Happy Birthday to You after about the 50th time we had to find the scissors and clip the wires to make it stop.  I think I can still hear it playing. . .



Matt was well taken care of for his birthday.  The people he works with treated him royally.



I had a great birthday.  Oma also bought me a birthday outfit when I was visiting. My visiting teachers and many friends remembered me. I lost track of how many calls I received and how many times I had "This Little Girl has a birthday."  I've learned over the years to be ready to spend most of my birthday on the phone. It's a day to feel the love from all over the country. Most of my nine siblings call or text me, I get to visit with my mom and dad, and I can always count on a call from my friend Kay, who has been a best friend since we moved to Hawaii when I was 10.



Sometime between my birthday and Hannah's we received a package in the mail. She had included gifts for each of us. Elizabeth is the queen of sending a package that's packed with pizzazz. I'm still finding metallic confetti here and there.  It makes me smile each time I do.



1 comment:

Kasey Strong said...

I love that you guys celebrate the heck out of your birth"days". And how funny that Oma did a scavenger hunt only with no clues and not a ton of memory either. That makes me smile. You guys are great. Happy Belated Birthday to all of you. :)