Last July Hannah and her friend Whitney had the opportunity to attend EFY in Lock Haven, PA. They had an amazing time. Because of the location they were able to make friends from all over the country and Canada. Hannah loved her experience in Provo last year and I was grateful she went into this years experience fresh and knowing that it would be unique and different from Provo's experience.
Lock Haven provided a more intimate setting. I think there were less than two hundred youth instead of a few thousand. The directors of the session, Brother and Sister Hess were incredible and Hannah really learned to love them and her counselor McKae. They were able to mix the right amount of spirituality with sociality resulting in a wonderful week of testimony and character building.
When we registered I was surprised to find a location 90 miles from home instead of the six or so hours I thought I might need to drive to SVU in Virginia. Good thing it was so close. We thought we had put all that Hannah packed into the car, but when we arrived in Lock Haven we found that the only shoes Hannah had were the tennis shoes she had on her feet. Not the best shoes for the church dress day or the dressy dance and although they were tennis shoes they were more more looks than function. Being the awesome mom that I am, I left barefooted so that Hannah could have my sandals.
The dorms were not air conditioned and we had brought a fan, but it wasn't enough. The day after EFY started I decided to drive back up there and take Hannah her forgotten shoes and Whitney a much needed fan. I didn't mind since it was a beautiful drive and I always have a book on my phone that I'm listening to.
We are so grateful that Hannah and Elizabeth have had the opportunity to attend EFY. I used to have an issue with then idea that it was necessary to pay for a testimony. I've learned that it takes a lot to provide these opportunities. Nothing comes cheap. They try to have the best of the best. EFY is well worth the sacrifice and they do offer scholarships and help for those who need assistance.
Hannah is talking about serving a mission and came home from EFY determined to get her patriarchal blessing. We had been talking about it for awhile, had the recommend, but just hadn't got around to making the needed appointment. She did get her blessing in October and it was beautiful.
Momma's barefeet.
I thought it quite fitting that we drove near Zion to get to and from EFY.











No comments:
Post a Comment