Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pride Goeth Before the Fall or I promise I tried this at Home

A few weeks ago I was called to be the Young Women's president in our ward. I wanted to have an activity that would be fun and perhaps a bit different from something they had done. Basically I wanted to make a good first impression. I began bragging that I had the most amazing caramel apple recipe. The plan was that we would make caramel apples and take them to a few of our less active girls.

Just to be sure I knew what I was doing, Hannah and I tried the recipe at home a few days before we were to make them at young women's. Our caramel apples turned out amazingly well and I was feeling pretty good about myself. We enjoyed them and shared them with our bishop and his family.

I wanted things to go just perfect on Wednesday. I had the ingredients separated and ready. I was organized and just knew things were going to go great. We were prepared to make two batches so as the girls stood at the stove I read off the ingredients and the directions. We patiently stirred and waited for our caramel to reach the softball stage. One batch scorched just a little, but it wasn't too bad. Finally things appeared to be ready.

We dipped the first apples (golden delicious) and the caramel just ran off. Note to self: apples that have too much wax on them don't work really well for caramel apples. Fortunately the granny smith apples worked a bit better. One batch of caramel seemed to skip softball and go directly to hardball.

We did have fun, but I was a bit humbled. I'm grateful for my counselors who helped us salvage what we could. Hopefully the young women realize we are all only human and when life gives you hardball instead of softball . . .enjoy!

2 comments:

Artfulife said...

Hey Kenna! Congratulations on your new calling. I am sure the girls will love having you as a teacher. Hugs to you all!

Chad and Elizabeth said...

Well I must have lucked out because when I wan visiting the apples were PERFECT! The girls still have fun I'm sure and you wouldn't want them to turn out too good for everyone or else you'll be like D'on and have to make a million every halloween!