Actually posted March 21, 2010
It has been a few weeks or months since I last posted. My last blog showed pictures of our big storm. It snowed for what seemed like weeks. It just keeps coming. We lost power for about 36 hours during the biggest of the storms. Fortunately we have a gas fireplace and many down blankets. We learned that preparing for a hurricane and a blizzard have many things in common, but we quickly learned that we need a better source of heat. One big plus is that we didn't lose any food due to refrigeration, all we had to do was put it on the back porch or in the garage.
During the power outage our computer desk's legs must have contracted or something and our desk collapsed sending our brand new computer to the floor. What a rude awakening at 5:30am. I was very sad, frustrated and wondered why we weren't impressed to do something. It was a rough week as we looked to replace it. Unfortunately the insurance we had would cover only about a quarter of the cost.
(I loved my old computer and was perfectly happy with it, but Matt felt impressed that Elizabeth needed a better computer for school and mine would fit the bill. I was a bit reluctant to buy a new computer, but I too realized Elizabeth's graphic arts assignments would be better accomplished with a great computer. We all want our children to succeed, plus we love her and know she is working hard at school. Elizabeth was the one who pointed out to me that if the accident had happened a few days before, both computers would have been lost. For a week they both sat on the same desk as we transferred files and what not. I did feel somewhat better after that.)
One day we were running errands and we felt impressed to go to the computer store right then. I can't give all the details because I'm still in shock, but the manager on duty must be an angel in disguise. Apple had offered to give us a discount of 25% off a new computer or repair the old one at the same discount. The estimate to repair was more than we had originally paid. The manager that helped us ran some numbers, repeatedly made the comment, "Now this won't make any sense, it's a bit difficult for me to explain, just trust me." After leaving the store and riding up the escalator with our new computer, I looked at Matt and asked, "Did we just leave with a free computer?"
Apple went the extra mile. They took our old computer apart, retrieved the hard drive and transferred all data and programs to the new computer. We left the store with a computer that was virtually identical to the one we had lost. This should have cost hundreds of dollars, but they did it at no cost to us. The broken computer was of no use to them and we left with both computers and they recommended that we try to sell the broken one on Craig's list.
For days I waited for the manager to call and tell us he had made a mistake. About three days later he did call. I was actually relieved, I felt like things were too good to be true. I was ready for the worst. He simply said that he needed the broken computer back so his inventory would match the audit since he did the transaction as an exchange. We quickly returned the computer.
We have been so blessed. Just another example of the "tender mercies" that are so prevalent in our lives. Daily I pray to recognize Heavenly Father's hand in my life. I know that all blessings are not obvious and I hope I can better see them all.
With my new computer, I am back to blogging.
1 comment:
As I type on my lovely Mac that you sent I am grateful we have both been blessed with nice computers. Thanks again!
Post a Comment