A few weeks go we took the young women in our ward to Kirtland, Ohio. I've been wanting to go and fortunately I was able to convince a few of our young women that they wanted to go too. It's about two and a half hours away. I was quite impressed that the girls were willing to meet at 7am on a summer morning. A few of them had to leave home at about 6:30 am to make it on time. I think we picked the hottest day of the summer to go. It helped us count our blessings as we toured the un-airconditioned buildings and enjoy those that were.
I learned to appreciate the Whitney family even more. I got chills as I stood in the Whitney store and pictured the door opening, a tall man entering and Joseph announcing to the Whitney's that he was the prophet and he was there because they had prayed him there.
I think it's hard for us to understand all that the Whitney's did in support of the prophet and Emma, what they gave up to follow the prophet and do the Lord's will. They had a thriving business, a wonderful home and family. They willingly gave it all up when the time came.
What a blessing to be able to walk where the prophet Joseph walked, to be in the room where he received over 100 revelations now in the Doctrine and Covenants, and to sit in the school of the prophets and picture him teaching and leading.
The Whitney home was warm, inviting and peaceful.
(I attempted to take a picture of our YW reflected in the mirror that hung in the Whitney's parlor. Next time I'll focus it a bit differently.)
I enjoyed walking through the sawmill, knowing that men had worked hard to provide the very best for the Lord's house as they strived to do as they were commanded.
Who knew what an Ashery was? Not I. The saints were able to sell there ashes that were then turned into pot ash and pearl ash.
It was so peaceful walking through the visitor's center and those places that have been restored. I'm grateful that the church puts an emphasis on our history and gives us the opportunity to visit sights that have helped shape who we are as latter-day saints.
The saints had gathered, built a temple, but were forced to leave it all behind. It must have been heartbreaking and a true test of their faith.
The day that had been sunny and bright became overcast and dreary as we visited the Kirtland temple. It is still possible to feel the spirit there, but it's not the same as it once was. You can't help but feel the spirit when you realize that the Savior himself along with many of the ancient prophets appeared there.
It was interesting to hear our church history told by those who no longer have the restored truth. They were sincere and I appreciate what they were trying to do, but they missed the mark. They have done their best with what little resources they have to preserve the temple.
I do have a testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know Joseph was the prophet of the restoration. I am grateful that we live in a time where temples are found throughout the world and I am grateful that I was able to visit the first of our dispensation in Kirtland.






1 comment:
What a lovely post, Kenna! Sam and I have made a vow to take our young ones to visit all of the places that were so important in our humble beginnings. Thanks for all of the lovely pictures. AND the 'heads up' that we should visit when it is cooler!!
Post a Comment