But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings of eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40: 31
Life has been a bit busy and I had planned on blogging a few things to get caught up. It will have to wait for another day. All those things seem trivial right now.
I was privileged to help one of the young men in our ward with his Eagle Scout Project today. ( It seemed an appropriate activity on Veteran's Day. By the way thanks to all those that serve and have served! ) Taylor is a remarkable guy. He's out going and brings many smiles to our youth activities. Life just wouldn't be the same without him.
Taylor's project is a book drive for The Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. For him, it's personal. Taylor was born with a cleft lip and palate. He has had more surgeries and procedures than I can count. His most recent surgery was in August. As he matures he will have even more. Over the years he has spent a lot of time in the hospital.
He picked a gorgeous day for us to be out and about. Not a cloud in a beautiful blue sky, temperature about 60. Today we put bags on doors in several neighborhoods. Each bag had a tag that explained his project with a request for any new or gently used children's books. We will return on Saturday to pick up the bags. In all we distributed 250 bags.
While I was walking from door to door I received a call from my dad. I could tell be his tone that he had something serious to tell me. My first thought was something had happened to my mom or one of my siblings. Although my mom is a bit under the weather all is fine on the home front.
For several month's we've been praying for my cousin RuthAnn's son Austin. He is fifteen or sixteen. He was diagnosed last summer with an inoperable brain tumor. He had chemo and we all hoped it would be enough. Although Austin has been a part of our daily prayers, I didn't really know how he was currently doing. In my mind I assumed the best. I was surprised when my dad said that RuthAnn and her family were meeting today to discuss removing Austin from life support. His treatments have not been effective and he has pneumonia. Things do not look good.
What a contrast. Young men running from door to door on a mission. Working together so that Taylor can be an Eagle Scout. Not a care in the world. And then there's Austin.
Prayers aren't always answered as we hope they will be, but because so many times they are it causes us to pause when things go differently than we had pictured. Heavenly Father has a greater plan with a greater good. I take so much for granted. I know my prayers are heard and answered. I'm just not always prepared for the answer.
Today my prayer is for Austin to go peacefully if it is his time to go. I hope and pray that RuthAnn and her family can find a peace that seems impossible under the circumstances. I pray they will know that a loving Heavenly Father will welcome their son home with open arms and that through the gospel of Jesus Christ families are forever. Austin will be free from the pain and suffering he has endured and though each day may seem to last an eternity, this life is but a moment.
I hope and pray that I will continue to strive to see Heavenly Father's hand in my life. I will remember to hug those I can and tell those I can't how much I love and appreciate them. I am so blessed. I am grateful that for now I can run and not be weary, walk and not faint. The Lord does renew my strength.

No comments:
Post a Comment