Thursday, February 10, 2011

Casting Calls

A few weeks ago  Hannah brought home information about the High School's production of Beauty and the Beast.  They were holding auditions and needed 20 4th - 6th graders for  the play.  I was surprised that Hannah was excited and wanted to try out.  This isn't your typical Prine thing.  We all love to sing, but it's best to keep it in the car or at FHE.  (You should have heard last weeks rendition of "Jesus came to John the baptist...)

For the auditions you needed to come prepared to sing "My Country Tis of Thee" both acapella and with the piano.  We enlisted the help of our piano teacher who is also a voice coach and dedicated last weeks piano lesson to preparing for auditions.  Hannah sounded pretty good with the help of Sister U. 

I was still a bit surprised when Saturday morning came and she was still talking about auditions.  She had her outfit picked out first thing.  I thought she would rethink things and find a reason not to go.  Although she was quite nervous we went to auditions.

Auditions began at 2:30pm.  We arrived at about 2:20pm in case we got lost or whatever.  We had never been in the High School before.  We were back in the car and headed home by 2:35pm.  Things happened so fast we weren't sure what hit us.  I don't think Hannah was out of the room more than 25 seconds after her name was called.  Before I could blink she was back and we were putting our coats back on and heading out the door.

Hannah felt things hand gone just about as bad as they could.  She has expected to sing with the piano (which is quite helpful to a Prine), but instead was given one note and told to sing.  She said her voice was all squeaky and nervous and she was just sure  she hadn't made it.  I gave her the good old "you'll do better next time, I'm proud you were brave enough to give it a try, now you know what to expect, yada yada yada" and we were off to do errands.

Tuesday afternoon I was checking email when I received the following:

Dear All,

I am M----- B------, the stage manager at Canon Mac High School.  Your children have been cast as village children in Beauty and the Beast and will be preforming in the opening scene as well as the finale.  You are to meet in the atrium at 10:00 on Saturday the 12th, where you will be given information packets by Mrs. --------.  Please make every effort to attend!!!  Feel free to email me with any additional questions.

Sincerely,

M------ B------


This momma was brought to tears.   I know Hannah wanted to be in the play more than she would admit.  I was humbled and so very grateful that she could be a village child. 

Elizabeth  had Tuesday off so she asked if we could video chat and see Hannah's reaction when she found out.  As we were chatting I brought up my emails and told Hannah I had a funny one she needed to read.  I think she shouted the loudest "YES" I've ever heard.  It was great to be able to share in her joy as a family.

No comments: