Saturday, January 5, 2013

First Things First and Helping Hands

( 1.5.13 - I started this post almost a month ago. On New Years Eve Matt received a call from the local paper wanting to do an article on our stakes service and Sandy relief efforts.  I'll include that information when it's available. I guess with the holidays past it's time to finish what I started so I can post about our wonderful holidays.)

12.13.12  It has been a busy month.  We celebrated our 28th anniversary although Matt was in New Jersey. Family and church callings have kept us especially busy.  Late October found us preparing for  hurricane Sandy in PA. We were spared and not impacted much at all. We watched the news and our hearts went out to those who's lives were turned upside down and inside out.   We were not alone in our prayers and desires to help those who were suffering.  Little did we know our prayers would be answered and that we would be given an opportunity to help and have our lives blessed.

I say that "we" were given the opportunity to serve, what I really mean is that Matt was given the opportunity and as a family we were given the opportunity to support him in his efforts.

Shortly after the storm, Matt received a call from our Stake Presidency.  He was asked to coordinate the east side of our stake in the Sandy relief efforts.  The east and west sides of our stake would alternate weekends until Christmas and provide service as needed.  Each ward would provide at least 10 men who would operate as a a fully self sufficient team bringing all tools and supplies they would need for the weekend of work.  Our teams traveled to Union Beach, New Jersey where they became a part of thousands of "Mormon Helping Hands."



It was amazing for me to watch how the relief efforts were coordinated and orchestrated.  What a blessing it is to be a part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  There were conference calls and more phone calls than I can count.  Matt visited with the five wards he was organizing encouraging and assuring them as they prepared to go.  He reminded the brethren that this was was a priesthood assignment and I witnessed the power in the priesthood as things came together and the duties were fulfilled. We all like to have the details, but the situation was fluid and constantly changing and evolving.  I think one of Matt's biggest challenges was assuring those going that they would have work and their service was needed.  I probably heard Matt ask individuals and groups a hundred times to exercise some patience and it would all work out.

Compassionate service, prayers offered and answered.  Br. Myers in our ward shared what a blessing it was for the men to serve together and offer compassionate service.  He said that the woman of the church are often blessed as they take time to give compassionate service and offer the "Relief" that is such a part of the Relief Society.  With tears pouring down his cheeks he shared that at two very specific times on a Saturday, once at 10:30 and again at 2pm he could feel the power of the prayers of those praying on their behalf.  I know I am better for his having shared that with me.  The spirit bore witness to my soul that my prayers were heard and answered.

I know that there were sisters in our area that were frustrated that they weren't physically able to be a part of our stakes teams.  Many sisters were just as strong and just as capable as many of the brothers who went, but it was a priesthood assignment.  For me personally, my testimony of the priesthood was strengthened as I saw the priesthood in action. I witnessed the strength that the brothers have as they band together as one in purpose.

I'll have to update later with the more accurate numbers, but I know that hundreds of work orders were fulfilled, thousands of man hours were given and many, many lives were blessed.

Matt was able to work closely with members of the Union Beach township and local volunteers.  I know that lives were blessed and that many recognized the light of Christ as those yellow vests served in their neighborhoods.

Matt's first day there I asked if he had taken any pictures.  He said it was too painful.  He did relent and take some pictures for me.










 This picture makes me cry every time I see it.  "We're Okay"  How could you be okay after you've lost everything.  It sure helps me put my "challenges" in perspective."  No matter what life brings, I want to have the attitude that "I'm okay!"







This picture also touched my heart. I hope I can keep going no matter what.












I want to share an experience one of the brothers in our stake had.  I'll share the unedited version just as Matt received it.

This story was sent by one of the guys working with us this weekend in Union Beach, NJ
It occurred yesterday morning.

Matt


>> From our friend John Pitzer, after another weekend of Mormon Helping Hands on 
the devastated New Jersey Coast
> 
>> "So I'm back from NJ. Saw some amazing but awful things. Gutted out a few 
houses as people looked on with a finalization that their possessions are 
destroyed. The highlight of my trip was this morning as I felt prompted to dig 
in the sand where a house used to be. I found a glass turtle still paper weight 
which the husband/father of the house informed me was part of his wife's 
collection. I asked him about the love of turtles and he opened up to me and 
informed me that besides his house they had lost their memories and something 
very important possessions of his wife. She had taken off her engagement and 
wedding ring and placed them in the medicine cabinet the night the storm hit. 
The house was completely destroyed and their bedroom happened to end up ~150 
yards from where the foundation was, and all was lost. I got another inspiration 
to look ~6 feet from where the front left corner of where the house stood. In 
the sand there I uncovered 2 small earrings, bracelet, and a necklace. I gave 
these to the husband and he lit up saying that these were in the same room as 
the rings. After removing some very large pieces of debris consisting of 
flooring and pipes I feel another, but stronger still impression to dig in the 
accumulated sand under my feet. I began to dig and found a few more pairs of 
earrings. As I continued to clear the sand I found a small white earring box 
consisting of 3 pairs of earrings with real stones and pearls. I gave them to 
the son to take to his mother. While the son was giving them to his mother I 
then found a gold band with 4 diamonds in a tension setting. I showed Eric (the 
son) and he immediately recognized it as his mothers wedding band. He retrieved 
his father and while he was bringing his dad back I found a ring with a large 
diamond. I gave it to his dad who's mouth dropped. These were the only two 
personal items his wife was praying would be found. I was able to get this 
family back a small piece of hope and be a tool in the masters hand to answer a 
lady's prayers.
>> 
>> "This was a humbling experience and I am thankful this season to be able to 
give back to somebody I have never met before, but will now never forget.
>> 
>> 


One thing that amazes me was that this happened on November 18 about three weeks after the storm. What a blessing to that family that this good brother listened to the promptings of the spirit.

No comments: