We started are adventure by driving to Union Station in Washington, DC. We left our car at Union Station and took a train (which we thought went to the airport since the stop was called BWI) and then a taxi to BWI (Baltimore Washington International) Airport. We would be riding Amtrak back from Florida and Matt was wise enough to know that it would be much easier for the three of us to do some extra hopping at the beginning of the trip than try to do it with Oma after a day and night on the train.
It was our first time to actually drive into the "District". The parkway that took us into city was beautiful even with all the trees naked. I can only imagine what it will look like in the spring and fall. It was fun to see license tags from all over the country and world. We passed one historical landmark after another.
It was so exciting to see the exit for Arlington and Langley (I'm a big NCIS and Covert Affairs fan), we passed the Washington monument, Pentagon, Jefferson Memorial and the Capitol. My pride as an American brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. Hannah and I have taken the train to the Smithsonian and Mall before, but it was Matt's first time to see it all.
Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial
The Capitol
We arrived at Union Station right at rush hour. What an amazing place. People, lots of people, were rushing every which way. Most looked very purposeful and knew right where they were headed. I'm sure we looked very much the tourists and novices that we were. I was very impressed by how nice and helpful everyone was.
Matt and Hannah waiting a bit anxiously for me to quit taking pictures and go inside.
Our train to BWI, or so we thought.
After getting comfortably seated on the 5:10 Penn Line train Matt decided to double check that we were on the right place at the right time. Hannah and I briefly visited with the ladies across the aisle. Matt discovered we were on the right line, but the train we were seated on was an express that actually passed by BWI without stopping. The train we actually needed was a few tracks over and would leave at 5:20. We were cutting it close, but we grabbed our luggage and headed for the right train.
Now for out Christmas miracle.
The 5:20 was packed on that Friday afternoon. We hurried down the train with the pressing crowd looking for a car that had a few open seats. Since we we were flying out for the weekend we had several pieces of luggage. We found a seat and soon had ourselves barricaded in with all of our luggage. It became obvious that it was not cool to let your luggage occupy a seat so we had stuff at our feet and on our laps. The train we were on was standing room only so it was very, very noisy.
I was enjoying the hustle and bustle which were all a part of our adventure. Matt is always teasing and kidding so when he said I was was being paged over the intercom I ignored him. I hadn't even noticed any message. He quickly let me know he was serious and I listened as someone tried to pronounce my name correctly. The message could barely be heard above the noise of the crowd. I wondered why anyone would be paging me and then as I assessed the situation, I realized we had all of our suitcases, but I did not have my purse.
I quickly realized that the train we had been sitting on previuosly was gone. Our train was minutes from departure. It's amazing how quickly your brain can begin to process information. I began to frantically climb over the luggage and squeeze my way through the other passengers to the nearest door. I hadn't heard the complete message so I found the nearest station attendant and asked about the message. I told her I must have left my purse on the other train and I had heard my name over the intercom. She seemed unfamiliar with the message. I asked if she could radio and ask for the message to be repeated. She was the first and only unhelpful person I encountered in DC.
I began to doubt if there really had been an announcement and in a panic I headed towards the station. I was afraid I'd miss my train and I knew without my purse I wouldn't be able to get through security and catch my plane. I saw an official looking man heading towards me several cars up the track. He had my purse in his hand. I ran towards him as fast as I could. I explained who I was. He held out two sets of keys and asked me to choose the one that went with the purse. He handed my purse over to me and if the train weren't about to depart I would have given him a big hug.
I had hustled out of the train without paying attention to which car Matt and Hannah were in. I now had my purse, but had lost my family. Fortunately within a car or two I could see them through the window. You can imagine my relief as I made it through the right door and back to my seat.
I don't know if it was the two ladies sitting across the aisle from us who discovered I had left my purse. I do know they were the only ones who would have heard our conversation and known which train we changed to. I have said many prayers of gratitude and asked the Lord to bless them and whoever else was involved in getting my purse back to me.
To me it is nothing less than a miracle. I can't help but feel love and gratitude every time I think about this experience which is often. We had prayed for a safe journey before leaving home, and in the parking garage Matt felt impressed to ask another prayer that all would go well on our journey. Our prayers were answered. I have a Heavenly Father who knows what I need before I even recognize the need. How blessed I am. I try to recognize his hand in my life, but it makes me wonder how many times I am blessed with miracles that I'm not aware of.
I thought of that message over the intercom. I didn't even hear my name being called. I was reluctant to believe Matt when he tried to get my attention. How many times in life has my Heavenly Father tried to get my attention and the call has gone unheeded. How many times have I listened to a sacrament or conference talk and thought, "Surely that doesn't apply to me." Hopefully not many, I hope I'm quick to hear.
Retro Panic
I now have bouts of what I refer to as retro-panic. I can find myself in absolute panic. Too many times I've revisited the what ifs. What if my purse left on the first train, what if someone took my purse, what if I hadn't been able to catch my plane, what if I missed the second train and was seperated from Matt and Hannah without my train ticket or any money. . . The what ifs seem endless. I have to remind myself that it's really not necessary to go there. My purse was turned in, I did have it in time, nothing was taken, I did catch my train, we did have a wonderful trip.
Orlando at last!




















No comments:
Post a Comment