Monday, January 26, 2015

Food, Glorious Food

Matt was a bit bummed when Chad and Elizabeth moved to Arizona and we would be going there for Christmas instead of Utah. He quickly got over it when he began to compile his list of where we could eat during the holidays. The challenge wasn't where to go, but how would we eat everywhere on the list before it was time to head home. Now we're all left with the challenge of losing all the holiday pounds we put on.

Matt missed a good one. Chad and Elizabeth took Hannah and I to Oreganos the night we arrived. It was yummy Italian. I love pasta! It was just the first of many good meals we would eat while in Arizona.

We began and ended Matt's visit to Arizona with a stop at In-And-Out Burger. We had wanted to go to LoLo's Chicken and Waffles the night he arrived, but he was delayed in Chicago and arrived too late for that. Thank heaven In-And-Out is open 24/7.

Christmas Eve we had dinner at Bucca Di Beppo.  I'm glad Elizabeth made reservations weeks in advance and that we ate early. We were seated right away, but the kitchen was a bit slow due to the phone orders. They finally had to take the phone off the hook. We didn't mind because we were together and we were served free garlic bread. The wait was incredibly long by the time we left. I'm sure they were an hour or more behind seating even those with reservations.



Christmas day we had our traditional cinnamon crown and farmer's breakfast in the morning and hors de vours later in the day. Chad made the most delicious liege waffles I've ever tasted. The fact that they are the only liege waffles I have ever tasted doesn't change the fact that they were magnifique. They are made with a yeast dough and topped with fruit and whipped cream. To quote a little girl I once knew, "Delicious!"


The Friday after Christmas we headed to Gilbert for the Food Truck Round-Up. Chad and Elizabeth have been before and it's something we have aways wanted to do. A few of their favorite trucks weren't there. We were looking forward to tacos and mac'n cheese. We still had more than enough to eat. I think we had something from every truck except the ice cream truck since it was a bit chilly, actually a lot chilly that night. (We saw Hamilton the Kangaroo again.)



Saturday we went to Rudy's Bar-B-Que. Matt had learned to love Rudy's while working in Texas and we learned to love it while visiting in Arizona.  I really liked their green chili chili. We had ribs, brisket, sausage, pulled pork, chicken and I'm sure another meat or two. For sides we had potatoes, slaw and pinto beans that I remember. We must be real people because we ate more than our fair share of meat.

On Monday the 29th we finally made it to Lo Lo's Chicken and Waffles. It was pretty darn good. Nothing like authentic southern cooking. It's been awhile since I'd had some fried green tomatoes. The evening was especially memorable because we were able to spend it with Rod and Denise Stanfield. Rod and Matt were best friends during junior high and high school. Rod is the one who introduced Matt to the church and baptised him. Our family wouldn't be a family if it weren't for him. It's been years since Matt and Rod were able to be together. It was nice to catch up and make a memory together.


On Tuesday the 30th we took a little road trip to Tucson and Mount Lemon. I don't think any of us realized that it would be the long adventure that it was. We had a great day. Good thing Chad suggested we get an early start. Matt had worked in Tucson for a year almost fifteen years ago. He wanted to show us around his old stomping grounds and see some of the sights he had experienced all those years ago. Our Tucson adventure will be a blog post of it's own. We did have Famous Dave's for lunch and I thought I'd never want to eat again. I was wrong. I was ready to eat again when we stopped at Café Rio for dinner. Both were wonderful.



I know I've left out a few, but we're on day five of the "The Body Reset Diet" which lasts for fifteen days. The price we pay for all the good eating we did over the holidays. None of the above foods are allowed for now and all this remembering has made me crave what I can't have. Time to quit blogging and start blending.

No comments: