The Mesa Temple has special meaning to me. It's where I was sealed to my parents many, many years ago. It was wonderful to walk the grounds as a family. There were beautiful nativities and sweet holiday spirit. The lights were festive and meaningful. The contrast from the hustle and bustle of the mall to the calm and peace of the temple grounds was a nice transition from the worldly celebration of Christmas to the true reason we celebrate Christmas.
As would be expected there were many, many missionaries on the temple grounds. We visited with several. As we rounded the reflection pond we met two sister missionaries. One was a Sister Callister from Idaho. As we talked I asked her if she had had grandparents that served as missionaries in the Munich Germany Mission. In deed she had except they were her great-grandparents. We were able to share a few memories. I loved the Callisters. They became our family away from home. We were able to help them get acclimated and they in turn loved us like their own. I remember going to Neuschwanstein Castle with them and having other adventures on P-day. It was nice because they had a car. Sister Callister made the best homemade tomato soup. Elder Callister had some of the strongest hands I had ever seen.
As we were leaving the temple grounds we ran into Hamilton the baby kangaroo. We also saw Hamilton at the Food Truck Round-Up in Gilbert. Hamilton is a comfort pet and he visit vets, nursing homes and other places with his handler.
A few days later we were able to return to the temple with Chad and Elizabeth and do an endowment session. The temple is beautiful inside. The details are exquisite. I love how each temple represents the area it is in. I don't know if we saw the sealing room where I was sealed to my parents, but we were able to spend a few minutes in several of them. I'm grateful for that experience.
We were surprised when a familiar face entered the chapel before our session. It was Jared McGrath from our ward in Ocala. We watched as he went from teenager to football captain at Vanderbilt and on to a successful career and marriage. His life has taken a few twists and turns as all our lives do. It was good to see him and see that he is doing well. We were able to meet his new wife and see that together they have purpose and conviction.
In the Relief Society Room where Elizabeth and Chad go to church there is a beautiful quilt of the Mesa Temple. I wish I would have snapped a picture of the whole quilt. I would have, but it seems I was embarrassing my children. Maybe next time.





No comments:
Post a Comment