Saturday, January 17, 2015

Turkey Time or Count Your Many Blessings


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with a table full of some of our favorite dishes. Matt kept it simple this year and we only had one turkey which was supplied by the Parkers and cooked by Matt who joined us for dinner. (In the past we've had as many as three, each cooked a different way.) A family in our ward has an extensive garden and gave us a 50# bag of potatoes. I'm not sure what I was thinking, probably cooking for the crowd we're accustomed to, but I cooked way too many potatoes. I don't think any went to waste though.  In the following weeks the potatoes were used in shepherd's pie and accompanied other meals such as Oma's famous fried chicken and country fried steak.

As many pictures as I'm known to take, I can't believe I didn't take more pictures.  Oma did a wonderful table setting for us. I scored with a few sets of new Fiesta Ware so the table would better resemble what she had envisioned. I now have four colors to work with. Oma also supplied orange goblets and pumpkin shaped ramekins that she said were a thank you for helping with The Week of the Family. I definately came out on the winning end of that deal.

We were joined by our friends the Parkers will only be here for a few more months. He is doing his internship as a doctor at the local hospital and will be beginning his enlistment in flight medicine with the US Air Force. We've enjoyed getting to know them and their two children.  Titan is the smartest six year old I have ever met and keeps Hannah hopping whenever she babysits.  He's been over a few times when we've fed the missionaries and he keeps us all in stitches. He now has his own Youtube channel and his goal is to have enough views to make $1 this year.  Check him out on Titan's Take. Their baby girl Chayse just turned 6 month old and is definitely in the precious category.

We had the traditional pumpkin pie for dessert and a family favorite, pecan pie.  I was sure we had enough corn syrup for the pecan pie, but since we didn't do caramel apples this year my supply was pretty low.  That didn't deter Oma.  She boiled down some sugar and made her own corn syrup. Delicious!

We have so much to be thankful for. We're healthy and happy, Matt loves his job, Hannah continues to excel in school and make wonderful friends everywhere we move, and Chad and Elizabeth are settling in to life in Arizona and have made some good friends. One of the greatest blessings we all share is to have the gospel and a ward family wherever we go. We were blessed to have Oma with us for the holidays and enjoyed all the time we were able to spend with her.

I'm grateful for technology and being able to stay in touch with family and friends wherever they are. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a bit homesick over the holidays. It's nice to be able to pick up the phone and be home for a few minutes. 

No comments: