"The Scriptures contain the words of Christ and are a reservoir of living water to which we have ready access and from which we can drink deeply and long. You and I must look to and come unto Christ who is the fountain of living waters by reading, studying, searching, and feasting upon the words of Christ as contained in the Holy Scriptures. By so doing, we can receive both spiritual direction and protection during our mortal journey."
How am I going to drink deeply and long? What can I do to better receive spiritual direction and protection? The answer came in Sacrament meeting when President Hark shared his counsel to his wife that as she read the Book of Mormon this time, she could read it as a parenting manual, looking for principles that could help our families. I'm faithful in reading the Book of Mormon. I know that it takes just three pages a day to read The Book of Mormon from conference to conference. I'm good at checking those three pages off my to do list each day. I need a lot of improvement in "studying, searching and feasting."
Thankfully Elder Bednar shared three different ways I can approach my scripture study that can help me as I strive to do better. He taught, "I now want to review with you three basic ways or methods of obtaining living water from the scriptural reservoir. One, reading the Scriptures from beginning to end. Two, studying the Scriptures by topic. And three, searching the Scriptures for connections, patterns, and themes. Each of these approaches can help to satisfy our spiritual thirst if we invite the companionship and assistance of the Holy Ghost as we read, study, and search."
My reading The Book of Mormon from beginning to end does have value. According to Bednar, "Reading a book of scripture from beginning to end initiates the flow of living water into our lives by introducing us to important stories, Gospel doctrines, and timeless principles. This approach also enables us to learn about major characters in the Scriptures and the sequence, timing, and context of events and teachings. Reading the written word in this way exposes us to the breadth of a volume of Scripture. This is the first and most fundamental way of obtaining living water." I do have a testimony of the power of The Book of Mormon, Now it's time to more fully tap into that power.
I want to do better studying by topic. He says, "Studying by topic typically follows, grows out of, and builds upon our reading of the Scriptures from beginning to end." I've studied by topic in preparation for lessons and talks. I know how good it feels to be immersed in a subject and feel enlightened. I can see that it "increases the rate at which living water flows into our lives."
Now comes the feasting! More from Bednar, "Both reading from beginning to end and studying by topic are prerequisites to the third basic method of obtaining living water from the scriptural reservoir. Whereas reading a book of scripture from beginning to end provides a basic breath of knowledge, studying by topic increases the depth of our knowledge. Searching in the Revelations for connections, patterns, and themes builds upon and adds to our spiritual knowledge by bringing together and expanding these first two methods. It broadens our perspective and understanding of the plan of salvation. In my judgment, diligently searching to discover connections, patterns, and themes is in part what it means to feast upon the words of Christ."
Elder Bednar promises that any"any honest seeker of truth...can successfully employ these simple approaches. You and I do not need sophisticated study aids. And we should not rely extensively upon the spiritual knowledge of others. We simply need to have a sincere desire to learn the companionship of the Holy Ghost, the Holy Scriptures, and an active and inquiring mind." I feel like I have a sincere desire to learn.
Connections
A connection is a relationship or link between ideas, people, things, or events.
Examples are "the relationship between the Eternal Father and his son Jesus Christ, between mercy and grace, between clean hands and a pure heart, between a broken heart and a contrite spirit, between the wheat and the tares, between knowledge and intelligence, between justification and sanctification, between sheep and goats, between immortality and eternal life."
Patterns
A pattern is a plan, a model, or a standard that can be used as a guide for repetitively doing or making something. Typically, a scriptural pattern is broader and more comprehensive than a connection.
For example, "In The Doctrine and Covenants we find patterns for preaching the gospel, for avoiding deception, for constructing temples, for establishing cities, for organizing priesthood quorums and high councils, and for a variety of other purposes."
Themes
"Now themes are over arching, recurring, and unifying qualities or ideas like essential threads woven throughout a text. Generally, scriptural themes are broader and more comprehensive than patterns or connections. In fact, themes provide the background and context for understanding connections and patterns. The process of searching for and identifying scriptural themes leads us to the fundamental doctrines and principles of salvation to the eternal truths that invite the confirming witness of the Holy Ghost. This approach to obtaining living water from the scriptural reservoir is the most demanding and rigorous. It also yields the greatest edification and spiritual refreshment. And the Scriptures are replete with powerful themes."
"For example, the Book of Mormon came forth in this dispensation to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the eternal God manifesting himself unto all nations. The central and recurring theme of the Book of Mormon is the invitation for all to come unto Christ and be perfected in Him. The teachings, warnings, admonitions, and episodes in this remarkable book of scripture all focus upon and testify of Jesus the Christ as the redeemer and our savior."
It will be a challenge for me to change from my check it off the list and see how far I've come mentality, to trusting that it's ok not to read three pages a day in succession. I truly feel the power of The Book of Mormon each day as I read and I feel that it is much more than one more chore to be accomplished. Even as I read from beginning to end I find inspiration to help me meet that days challenges or answers to that days questions. I want to have part in the blessing Elder Bednar gave at the end of his remarks. "As his servant, I invoke this blessing upon you that your desire and capacity to hold fast to the rod of iron will be enlarged, that your faith in the savior will increase and replace your fears, and that as you drink deeply from the scriptural reservoir, you will come to know him."
I want to drink deeply.

No comments:
Post a Comment