Thursday, May 5, 2016
Pathway
About a year ago The Skinners visited our ward council meeting and shared the vision they had for beginning a Pathway program in our stake. I knew immediately this was something I should do. It might have helped if I had had Elder Holland's words from conference, "Brothers and sisters, may a loving Father in Heaven bless us tomorrow to remember how we felt today." As excited as I was the first time I heard about Pathway, it was hard to commit to enrolling. Months went by as I went one day from determination to do it, to days where I couldn't comprehend how the commitment required would be possible.
I'm grateful that the Skinners were determined to have enough of us enroll to begin a program. I was working in our sunroom the day before registration closed. I had prayed that morning to know if this was something I should really do. I had felt impressed many times that this was the time and I was in this place for this very purpose. Doubts and fears were making it difficult for me to take that leap of faith and go for it. Weeks before, I had completed the application and registration and all that was left was to push one final button confirming my decision to participate. I had visited the Pathway website repeatedly, staring at that button, wondering if I really had what it takes. I wanted to. Time and time again I heard this little voice in my head say, "Just push the button!" Finishing school had been a hope of mine for over thirty years. Sister Skinner was impressed to call me that morning. Perhaps she was going down the list one last time and I was just the next name on the list. It doesn't really matter why she called, but her call came when it needed to and was the answer to my prayer. In that moment I knew Heavenly Father was aware of my concerns, but I also knew he wanted me to do Pathway. Her call gave me he courage to push the button and commit.
This has been a wonderful journey. Its had its challenges, but I'm so glad I had the courage to try. I've learned a lot about myself and what I'm capable of. My testimony has been strengthened. I better understand that there is a spiritual element to all things even math. I have made some incredible friends who are a strength and support. I am better because I get to rub shoulders with them every Thursday evening.
Don't get me started on how I feel about Thursday evenings. I can't even begin to put into words what the Gatherings have come to mean to me. I must admit that I was dreading Thursday nights and the commitment I made to drive an hour to State College each week for two hours of classes. (If you want to do well in Pathway, you cannot miss a Thursday night of classes. They are a big portion of your grade.) It only took me two weeks and I was hooked. I love Thursday evenings!!! I love how I feel when I'm at a Gathering. I'm grateful for the peace and strength I'm able to take away with me. Being at a Gathering gives a feeling similar to being in the temple. I am standing in a holy place. I'm going to miss Gathering with my friends.
I'm not sure where this Path is taking me, but I know I'm headed in the right direction.
P.S. I couldn't do this without the support of my family. I will be eternally grateful for this opportunity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment