Friday, May 27, 2016

Decisions Determine Destiny


            I believe that decisions determine destiny.  My life is full of evidence that this is true. Almost every day I am reminded of a choice, which led to a beginning, and resulted in an experience that continues to have influence in my life today.
            In my living room hangs a picture of the Logan Temple. Its sepia tones and antiqued frame infuse my memories with a fairytale quality. It's a visual reminder that God is in the details and the decision to follow His promptings can bless generations.
            Where would I be if my parents hadn't decided to attend the temple on the same day and at the same time. He was a young serviceman stationed in Texas. She was a single mother living in Logan with her grandmother and myself while attending Utah State. He was at the temple to attend a sealing as the Best Man for his best friend. She was there to receive her own endowment. Destiny sat them next to each other in the temple chapel that day. His name was Danny Lee. Hers was Dana Lee. There was an instant connection and curiosity.
            Without much more than a brief introduction their paths diverged. He couldn't stop thinking about her. His decision to find out who she was and where she lived is a story in itself. He was determined to find her. Her brave decision to accept a stranger's invitation to his best friend’s wedding reception was the beginning of our family's "happily ever after."
            A few months later, my parents were sealed in the Logan Temple.  The roles were reversed. My dad knelt at the altar across from his bride-to-be as his best friend, now Best Man, sat close by lending strength and support. Later that day, my mom's red Rambler American would be packed with what little we owned and the three of us drove off into the sunset. We headed for Texas and life together as a family.
Dana and Dan - April 3, 1964

Kenna and Dan
            Over the next twenty years, the three of us grew to twelve as I was joined first by two sisters, then three brothers, then three more sisters and finally another brother. My parents continued to influence my decisions as they taught us the gospel. We worshipped and served together as a family.
The temple has always been an important part of our lives. We only lived near a temple once while I was growing up; my dad was stationed in Hawaii. Most of our family vacations and many of my fondest memories involved trips to the temple. I was sealed to my parents in the Mesa Temple when I was four years old.  At ten years I explored Temple Square while visiting my great grandmother in Salt Lake City.  The first time I performed baptisms for the dead was in the Laie Hawaii Temple; I was twelve. Just days before my mission we returned to the Logan Temple for my own endowment.

Family Vacation 1998
            Their decisions have influenced my destiny. Because I had heard their love story, my whole life I dreamed of being sealed in the Logan Temple. Although it wasn’t the nearest or most convenient temple, when the time came my family made the trek from Nebraska and Matt’s family joined us from Florida. My dream came true on December 1, 1984, when I knelt across the altar and Matt and I were sealed for time and all eternity in the Logan Temple.

Dan and Dane Gates - Matt and Kenna - Bette and Gene Prine
December 1, 1984

            My parent's legacy of temple attendance and service continues. For many years they have served in the Winter Quarters Temple. We've been blessed to watch as our daughter Elizabeth and her husband Chad knelt at the altar and were sealed in the St. George Temple. We are able to take our daughter Hannah with us to the Washington D.C. Temple to perform baptisms for the dead. We share with her our temple heritage in the hope she too will know decisions determine destiny.

Chad and Elizabeth - January 10, 2009

This is the essay I wrote for my Pathway "This I Believe" project.



No comments: