Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Night Out on the Town

Last night we had the opportunity to head downtown to the Byham Theater for a David Garrett concert. We are only twenty-five minutes from downtown and all the excitement. It's quite a sight when you come through the Fort Pitt tunnel and see downtown Pittsburgh spread out before you. I'm still not used to it. It's like opening a gift every time.

I'm not sure how old the Byham is, but it had that old well used feeling. As our feet fit into the grooves on the floor in front of our seat, I wondered how many had sat where I was sitting. Were they able to get lost in the moment. Had they enjoyed thier evening as much as we were enjoying ours. We were on the second row of the mezzanine in the center. I had been disappointed that we hadn't been able to get orchestra seats, but we had perfect seats. We couldn't have enjoyed the evening more. Hopefully this was the first of many memories we will make at the Byham.

Davis Garrett is amazing. His concert was so worth it. If you have the opportunity to hear him play, take it. His music covered all genres. He played Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, Paganini, Gershwin, "Somewhere" from West Side Story, Metallica, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, a song from Pirates of the Caribbean, Queen and a few of his own compositions and more. The members of his band were also very accomplished musicians. He currently holds the Guiness World Record for the fastest "Flight of the Bumble Bee." I'm sure his enthusiasm and love of music must inspire others to listen and learn to appreciate music outside their normal comfort zone. Check him out on YouTube.

We parked at the top of the parking garage and were able to look out over the city of bridges. It is beautiful. It is the city of bridges thanks to the three rivers that run through town.

Here is PNC park where the Pirates play. It sits along one of the rivers that runs through Pittsburgh.

2 comments:

Chad and Elizabeth said...

Glad to see how much fun the concert was! Wish we could have gone. Pittsburgh is exciting. We can't wait to come visit! Love ya!

Unknown said...

mmmmm...my kind of evening Glad you had a good time!