Thursday, November 15, 2012

First Fire

I love to sit by the fire and for awhile now I've wanted a fire pit for the backyard.  I started looking at different designs and pinned a few DIY ideas on Pinterest.  They were estimating the average cost at about $30.  Well I don't know where they were buying their bricks, but I couldn't come close to that price.  We kept looking for bricks, doing the math and deciding we'd wait for something more affordable. Fortunately different friends mentioned a place that sold their "seconds" for a few hours on Saturdays.  We made it over their a few weeks ago and finally our fire pit became a reality.

The bricks ranged from .25/brick to several dollars a piece. We found a pile of bricks that had fallen off their pallet and the sign with the price was missing.  Matt talked to the guy and offered .30 a piece.  (Similar bricks were 1.80 a piece at Lowes.) The offer was accepted and we found ourselves loading the back of Matt's truck with bricks.  It was our lucky day, because we were a few bricks short and Matt went the next Saturday to buy a few more and we had to pay .50/brick.

Unfortunately after we got our bricks at home and the pit built it was too windy to use it.  Sandy blew through next so it took a few weeks before we were able to enjoy our first fire.









Lucy loves to sit by the fire.  Some how she seemed to know that eventually there would be a fire there.  Looking good, however Matt felt we should paint the actual fire ring so I had to dismantle the whole thing and construct it again.
 Let's get this party started.



Traditional TeePee.  We were paying attention at Girl's Camp.


 First flame!

 Just like camping, it was almost dark by the time we got the fire started.


First fire + foiled dinners = Late Dinner




 In case you were wondering, Matt's foiled dinners are the size of a 9x 13 pan and we made two!

 Wish we had smellavision. Wonderful and worth the wait.

No comments: