Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Empty Nester

We don't always have a big garden, actually we've never had a big garden, but we do try to have at least a few things growing.  This year Hannah chose a strawberry plant that we hung on the front porch.  I think we had one strawberry from the plant, perhaps it was lonely. Average price per strawberry, $12. Priceless Pricey!

We routinely checked the plant in hopes that more would grow. Unfortunately no strawberries were ever found. but we did discover a nest with four lovely eggs which we began to monitor. In just over a week from the time we noticed the nest and eggs, the eggs hatched.

I was absolutely amazed by how hard Momma Bird worked.  With four hungry mouths to feed she was in constant motion from sunrise to sunset. I'd peek out the window and watch as she went from mouth to mouth, time and time again throughout the day.  She was quite vigilant and did her best to warn us off when we got too close. I tried not tot disturb her too much, but I couldn't help but watch the transformation that was taking place.

I have a way of imagining little scenarios in my head.  I felt like this little family was an extension of our own. I found myself building sermons in my mind paralleling what I observed in nature with gospel principles or "life lessons."  I pictured myself peeking through the curtains as one by one momma taught her babies to fly.  I imagined some would be more timid than the others and one would be brave and bold. For some reason I thought they would stay awhile, momma would get used to us and we'd find nicknames for the babies as we learned their  different personalities.

Last Thursday we took a peek as we left for the church at 5:30am so Hannah could catch the youth conference bus.  They were all safe and sound and the momma watched us from the edge of the roof as we tried to quietly leave.

At 12:42pm I noticed that things were a bit too quiet and a bit too still when  I looked at the nest. (I know what time it was because I took a picture.) They were all gone.  They left without saying goodbye. Now I have to wonder if they're ok, do they need anything, or did something happen to them. I was surprised by how empty the nest is. I thought it would be littered with tiny downy feathers, egg shells, baby bird poop, something, but it's almost if no one was ever there. I never saw them learn to fly.

I had looked forward to few days of quiet alone time while Hannah was at Youth Conference, but I found myself really missing her and very lonely.  I have a better idea what "Empty Nester" can really mean for some.  I'm grateful that I still have a few years to go before I reach that phase of my life.  I try to appreciate what I have while I have it, and now I'm going to try to appreciate it even more.

My empty nest reminded me that we don't always have a tomorrow, things don't always go as we had hoped or planned, but we do have today and if we make the most of it, that should be enough.

 July 11

 July 14

 July 19

 July 26

 July 26 - Momma Bird

 July 26

 July 26 - More Please

 July 26 - I'm still hungry!

 July 28

July 31

1 comment:

Kasey Strong said...

Aw, cute little birds (and eggs). My neighbor found some little eggs like that (I think they were robin's eggs?) in a sad spot of her house (and since it's a sad story, I won't tell it), but the eggs were so tiny and cute! Sorry they just up and left you but I'm glad you got some free time while Hannah was at YC! Even if it was at the cost of Elizabeth being lonely while you enjoyed that time!