We've been given the opportunity to serve as Ward Missionaries. It's been a nice preview of what we hope will be one day. A goal of ours is to serve a mission as a couple. Currently we try to team up with the missionaries on teaching appointments when ever possible. We are meeting many wonderful people and learning a lot about diversity and are constantly reminded how applicable the gospel is to anyone in any situation.
We have also been given a few assignments from the bishop to work with some less active members or members who may be experiencing challenging times. We experience joy as they choose to accept and live gospel principles and we are saddened when they can't seem to see how making changes in their lives and choosing to live gospel standards will bring them the peace that they are seeking. I know change does not come easy and sometimes it seems impossible that things can improve. Many people are affected by those they live with or feel responsible for.
There is so much more we can do with our calling and we often fall short of our desire to serve. Like most people, life tends to get in the way and we have a challenge balancing all that we feel we should do. Matt's job can be quite demanding and since he doesn't have a set schedule it's impossible to plan ahead as well as we would like to. I just get distracted and can easily loose focus.
I have the opportunity to visit with an older sister who is dealing with one health problem after another after another. The plan is for us to meet each week and read a few chapters of The Book of Mormon together, I'm not as consistent as I should be, but I always feel the spirit when I am with her and I am grateful for the opportunity to meet with her and learn more about her each time we meet. She has an amazing spirit and an incredible story.
Since we are in a smaller ward we have the opportunity to have the missionaries to dinner more often. We chose to have them over every other Monday and sometime in between. This allows us to accomplish several things. We are able to share a meal with the missionaries and it helps us be more consistent with Family Home Evening. Since the missionaries always have a message to share, we are blessed with a lesson without having to prepare one. It's a win, win situation.
Hannah is talking about going on a mission. I hope that she will have that opportunity. I know she has a lot of love to share and is trying to live and learn the gospel.
Dinner with the missionaries a few weeks ago.
Elders Bown, Hebdon, Christensen and Smith.
Last Friday we were able to attend the Baptism of Ken and Doris Scriver We had the opportunity to attend lessons while they were having the discussions and fellowship with them at church. Ken and Doris have already made themselves of our ward family and are very involved despite Doris' dialysis schedule and Ken's poor health.
Bishop Cross, Elder Bown, Ken, Doris and Elder Hebdon.
Last night we said farewell to Elder Bown who will be flying home tomorrow. We had the traditional burning of the suit (although it wasn't his suit that was burned. There always seems to be an old suit handy in a missionary apartment.)
Elder Bown made a difference while he was here. He was influential in the activation of several people. He was able to find Ken and Doris and see them through to baptism. That doesn't happen very often.
We all have the opportunity to make a difference. Sometimes we're the ones that hold the key to unlocking a given heart.


No comments:
Post a Comment