Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Happy 75th Dad!



 In August Elizabeth, Hannah and I were able to make a trip to Nebraska and celebrate my dad's 75th birthday and my niece Riley Jane's baptism.  We had a great week doing lots of the things we love to do in Nebraska. We were able to see extended family that I haven't seen for years.  We were also able to help with my parent's extreme makeover bedroom addition.

 The morning after we arrived, Riley invited all the ladies in the family to celebrate her birthday with her. We went with her and got mani/pedis.  It's great to be eight!





All those that were able went to the Winter Quarters Temple to do family sealings.  We were able to have my dad sealed to his parents and brother George (Bud).  There were also sealings of grandparents to their parents.  We were all able to participate.  I was able to be proxy for my dad's mom and grandmother.


To begin my dad's birthday weekend we had breakfast with his brothers, their wives and lots of children and the grandkids.


Saturday afternoon, August 11th,  we had a barbecue.  It was great to see so many members of the family, friends from church, work and neighbors.  Uncle Jack and his wife Cindy traveled from Albuquerque, New Mexico.  I hadn't seen Uncle Jack for years. Uncle Gene, Aunt Sandy, Uncle Terry and Aunt Glo all came from Illinois.We knew Kari was coming, but I had a hard time keeping the secret that Alex was coming with her.

Dad needed a little help blowing out the candles.

The party was scheduled to end at seven and promptly at seven the rain began to fall.  Quickest clean up ever.  Everyone pitched in and things were put way in no time.


One of the highlights of our visit was Riley's Baptism..  A few months ahead of time she had timidly called me to say the opening prayer.  It was such an honor.


 It just so happened that we were able to help a neighbor of Kari's settle in at Peru State near Auburn, Nebraska.  He had just been accepted to school there and offered a baseball scholarship. Peru is smaller than small and his new home was a bit on the rough side.  I was impressed by his good attitude and gratitude for his opportunity there.


It's tradition to visit the Henry Doorly Zoo when we visit Nebraska.  The day was gorgeous and we had a great time with all the little cousins.






 On a sadder note, it's the end of an era.  Rosenblatt Stadium has been the home of the college world series for as long as I can remember.  It was also the home of the Kansas City Royals Farm team for many years.  The day we were at the zoo most of it came down.

Gotta go to the Spaghetti Works. It's tradition.  Most of the family was there and we had a great time.  Hannah was able to go home with Ashley and Brittany for the night.  I think she would have liked it a bit better if she would have had a change of clothes with her.


We had the opportunity to help with my mom and dad's bedroom makeover. I can't believe I can't find a picture of the finished cabinets.  Darci built all the cabinets, bed etc from scratch.  She is truly amazing.   know she had help along the way, but she did the majority of the work.


Anything goes at grandma and grandpa's.  Who says you can't have grape jelly for lunch.


I never saw the crops so parched.

What a great trip.  I did see all my brothers and sisters, but unfortunately we weren't ever all able to have all ten of us in the same place at the same time.  I have about a thousand pictures I could share.  Too many cute nieces and nephews.  Grateful that I was able to spend time with so many of them.

No comments: